First Car Accident? Five Things You Should Know
By Katelyn Morgan
Getting into a car accident can be scary and leave you feeling shaky. That is why it is essential to know what to do so you, and anyone else can remain safe.
Here are the top five things you need to know (and do!) if you ever end up in vehicle collision.
- NEVER DRIVE AWAY: If you can, move your car to the side of the road and put it in Park.
- CHECK ON PEOPLE: Make sure everyone involved is ok.
- PROTECT THE SCENE: Set up flares around the accident to alert other drivers of disabled vehicles and potential dangers, especially if it’s dark out and your lights do not work.
- CALL 911: Call the authorities even if there are no injuries or if the accident is a small bump in traffic. Sometimes there are more damages to a vehicle than meets the eye. Additionally, having the police on the scene ensures you get a report that the insurance company will require should you file a claim.
- TAKE PICTURES, EXCHANGE INFORMATION AND KEEP A FILE: Even if the police take photographs, which they may not, it is crucial you also take pictures. Keep an extra camera in your glove compartment in case your phone is not charged. Exchange insurance information if another vehicle is involved. Create a folder, either electronic or paper, that houses all your accident documents. It will make it easier for you to access files for your insurance company.
For a complete list visit www.faiagency.com/claims/auto/
Want check on your auto policy, add more coverage, or get more information? Then call us at 413.592.8188 to speak to one of our dedicated account managers or, fill out this form.
Remember, cars can be fixed, people can’t.