Forecasters anticipate frigid temperatures throughout the Northeast over the next few days. Low temperatures combined with strong winds means an increased potential for frozen and burst pipes.
Here are a few tips to help safeguard against frozen pipes.
- Leave the heat up! Set the thermostat and leave it set to the same temperature day and night.
- Open the kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warm air to circulate around plumbing.
- If you have an attached garage, keep the doors shut. Wind and cold air drafts increase the likelihood of a frozen pipe.
- If you are going away, shut off the water supply line to your washing machine.
- Drain and shut off all outside spigots.
- Have someone check on the house. Once the ice melts and the temperatures rise the water will start to flow.
- Mark the main water supply line so it can be easily identified.
Courtesy of our partners at Arbella Mutual Insurance.